Thursday, April 24, 2008

pocketbook panic

perhaps it's from watching gma's piece this morning on costco rationing rice... or perhaps it's from the random email sent down from the company g-d's reminding us that each of us plays a role in managing business expenses...

is the regular joe's world going to h-e-double hockey sticks in a handbasket or what? i've started freaking out about every last thing i spend and every last dime i owe, which is making me a frazzles, stressed out, downright bitchy person to be around. of course, in doing that, i realize that in order to fully right the proverbial ship, it may cause me to have to (1) donate all of my internal organs; (2) stand on a street corner in some hoochie outfit (which doesn't even exist in my vocab anymore; (3) relinquish my first, second and third born... or all of the above.

gas is sky high, food is sky high, it cost us $600 to **1/2** fill the oil tank in our house (and trust me, we don't even really use the heat) and just today (which may be what put me over the edge) the price of the sodas on my floor went up 125% from $1.00 to $1.25... who the fark did that?

i mean, my g-d people!

anyhow, i'm thinking of ways to cut back and generate some funds... i was thinking of having a yard sale, but feel that those attract people looking for something for nothing. i was thinking of posting some things on craigslist, but am scared of the dominant-submissive-horny-individual-looking-for-whatever emailing me...ca-reepy! i was thinking of selling stuff on ebay... i've done it before, but it's *so* much work (again, reference the l-a-z-y)

so, here's what i'm planning to do (once we get a plan in place that we think we can stick to):
(1) drop my cell phone and its contract... frankly i have a home phone and if i really feel i can't live without it, i'll get a pre-paid jobby
(2) sell my car... it seems drastic, but i walk to the train people. it's retarded to spend oodles of money each month to look at a pretty car in the driveway collect pollen
(3) reduce the phone/cable bill... how i'm not sure, but am going to
(4) get rid of *all* credit cards (except for emergency one)... i obviously lack the willpower to resist buying crap and therefore need to not have them with me
(5) bring my lunch every day... no excuses!!!
(6) plan the dinners on sunday for the week ahead... make 'em in advance if i have to

ok...that's enough for now... having no cell and no car? why, it'll be like being a college student all over again :)

i'm also hoping to attain a second little job on the side to ease the crunch for a bit... i'm super good with quickbooks and tutoring :)

oh, and i make baskets! lest i forget that. i make awesome baskets for baby showers, weddings, birthdays... anything really. i just did some for my husband's secretary for an event of hers and she loved them. so yeah... was that a shameless plug? perhaps :)

4 comments:

Kristen Risley said...

The good news is your sodas only went up 25%. Percent change formula old-new/old. Don't worry, that's a standard SAT formula :) You're already saving percents and you didn't even know it!

Ripe for Reading said...

Come work here; soda is free : )

BipolarLawyerCook said...

I smell an Etsy shop of tiskets and taskets and lovely Amy's baskets!

And, yeah, good luck with reducing that cable bill. : )

I got rid of my own credit cards for the spending control, and with only a few exceptions, I don't miss them. The ATM card is limiting, but I got over it. The first month sucked, though.

- said...

our bottled WATER went up to $1.40 ?!?! so now i drink tap. if i keel over tomorrow i give you all permission to stand over me and shake your head slowly while thinking "what was she thinking drinking tap water in boston"